Super Bowl Lights Out Has Groups Blaming Each Other
The cause of a 34-minute blackout at the Super Bowl remains under investigation, but public records released Monday show that Superdome officials were worried about a power outage several months before the big game.
An Oct. 15 memo released by the Louisiana Stadium & Exposition District, which oversees the Superdome, says tests on the dome’s electrical feeders showed they had “some decay and a chance of failure.”
The memo also cites 2011 blackouts that struck Candlestick Park, where the San Francisco 49erswere playing a nationally televised Monday night football game, as a reason for ordering the tests.
The board later authorized spending nearly $1 million on Superdome improvements, including more than $600,000 for upgrading the dome’s electrical feeder cable system.
“As discussed in previous board meetings, this enhancement is necessary to maintain both the Superdome and the New Orleans Arena as top tier facilities, and to ensure that we do not experience any electrical issues during the Super Bowl,” says a LSED document dated Dec. 19.
An attorney for the state board that oversees the Superdome said the blackout did not appear to be related to the replacement in December of electrical equipment connecting the stadium to Entergy. Officials with the utility and the Superdome noted that an NFL game, the Sugar Bowl and another bowl game were played there in recent weeks with no apparent problems.
The exact cause of Sunday night’s blackout — and who’s to blame — remained unclear late Monday, though a couple of potential culprits had been ruled out.
It wasn’t Beyonce’s electrifying halftime performance, according to Doug Thornton, manager of the state-owned Superdome, since the singer had her own generator. And it apparently wasn’t a case of too much demand for power. Meters showed the 76,000-seat stadium was drawing no more electricity than it does during a typical New Orleans Saints game, Thornton said.
The lights-out game Sunday proved an embarrassment for the Big Easy just when it was hoping to show the rest of the world how far it has come since Hurricane Katrina in 2005. But many fans and residents were forgiving, and officials expressed confidence that the episode wouldn’t hurt the city’s hopes of hosting the championship again.
To New Orleans’ great relief, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the city did a “terrific” job hosting its first pro football championship in the post-Hurricane Katrina era, and added: “I fully expect that we will be back here for Super Bowls.”
Fans watching from their living rooms weren’t deterred, either. An estimated 108.4 million television viewers saw theBaltimore Ravens beat the 49ers 34-31, making it the third most-viewed program in television history. Both the 2010 and 2011 games hit the 111 million mark.
The problem that caused the outage was believed to have happened around the spot where a line that feeds current from Entergy New Orleans connects with the Superdome’s electrical system, officials said. But whether the fault lay with the utility or with the Superdome was not clear.
Determining the cause will probably take days, according to Dennis Dawsey, a vice president for distribution and transmission for Entergy. He said the makers of some of the switching gear have been brought in to help figure out what happened.
The blackout came after a nearly flawless week of activity for football fans in New Orleans leading up to the big game.
“I hope that’s not what they’ll remember about this Super Bowl,” French Quarter artist Gloria Wallis said. “I hope that what they’ll remember is they had a great time here and that they were welcomed here.”
Ravens fan Antonio Prezioso, a Baltimore native who went to the game with his 11-year-old son, said the outage just extended the experience.
“The more time we could spend at the game was a good thing, as long as it ended the way it did,” he said, laughing.
The city last hosted the Super Bowl in 2002, and officials were hoping this would serve as the ultimate showcase for the city’s recovery since Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The storm tore holes in the roof of the Superdome and caused water damage to its electrical systems, and more than $330 million was spent repairing and upgrading the stadium.
Sunday’s Super Bowl was New Orleans’ 10th as host, and officials plan to make a bid for an 11th in 2018.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu told WWL-AM on Monday that the outage won’t hurt the city’s chances, and he joked that the game got better after the blackout: “People were leaving and the game was getting boring, so we had to do a little something to spice it up.”
The chairwoman of the New Orleans City Council’s Utility Committee has called an emergency meeting for Friday to discuss the power outage.
Jarvis DeBerry, a columnist for nola.com and The Times-Picayune, wrote that the power outage gave the media “an opportunity to laugh at the apparent ineptitude or suggest that the ghosts of Hurricane Katrina were haunting the Superdome.”
“That’s not the kind of attention the city was looking for, obviously,” he wrote, “but it’s certainly too soon to say if people will remember the power shortage over San Francisco’s furious comeback attempt against Baltimore or if this will harm the city’s future opportunities to host the Super Bowl.”
- DeAngelo Williams Donates 53 Mammograms in Honor of Mother
- Former NFL QB Tim Tebow Makes Minor League Baseball Debut
- Hall of Fame Game Canceled Due to Field Concerns
- Broncos Rookie Paxton Lynch: I can play right away
- Ryan Shazier Beats Steelers Wideouts in Foot Race
- Trey Griffey, Son of Ken Griffey Jr., Selected by Mariners on Day 3
- Richard Sherman on Roger Goodell’s Proposal: ‘He’s just a suit’
- Calvin Johnson Retiring From NFL, Lions Announce
- Peyton Manning Makes Call To Retire After 18-Year Career
- Peyton Manning Told Close Friends he Expects to Retire